Eighth Blackbird is concerned about your privacy and strives to protect
any personal information you choose to provide us.
Who we are
For the purposes of the General Data Protection Regulation 2016/679 (the “GDPR”), the Data Controller is Eighth Blackbird Performing Arts Association registered in the United States with a registered address at 4045 N. Rockwell Street, Chicago IL 60618.
How to contact us
Purposes for which we process Personal Data
We collect and process Personal Data for a variety of purposes, including:
- your name and contact details to provide you with information about our products, manage your registration and attendance at our events, provide you with customer support, or when we otherwise communicate with you;
- the processing of device and usage data collected via cookies or similar technical means to improve and customize our websites and to guarantee their security and continued proper functioning;
- to display personalized advertisements to you, and to send you marketing communications about us and our products and services;
- your billing information to complete transactions with you when purchase our products or services;
- to comply with our legal obligations under applicable laws and cooperate with public and government authorities.
We only collect and process your Personal Data to the extent it is necessary for fulfilling these purposes. Where required, we will ask you for your prior consent.
Who do we share Personal Data with?
We may share Personal Data with various recipients, including the following:
- affiliates that process Personal Data for customer support, marketing, technical operations and account management purposes;
- event sponsors, if you register for an Eighth Blackbird event;
- our contracted service providers that process Personal Data on our behalf for IT and system administration and hosting, research and analytics, or customer support purposes;
- public and government authorities to the extent we are compelled to disclose Personal Data to comply with our legal obligations.
Your rights relating to your Personal Data
You have certain rights regarding your Personal Data, subject to applicable data protection laws, including the following:
- to access your Personal Data held by us (right to access);
- to rectify inaccurate Personal Data and ensure it is complete (right to rectification);
- to erase/delete your Personal Data to the extent permitted by other legal obligations (right to erasure; right to be forgotten);
- to restrict our processing of your Personal Data (right to restriction of processing);
- to transfer your Personal Data to another controller to the extent possible (right to data portability);
- to object to any processing of your Personal Data carried out on the basis of our legitimate interests (right to object). Where we process your Personal Data for direct marketing purposes or share it with third parties for their own direct marketing purposes, you can exercise your right to object at any time to such processing without having to provide any specific reason for such objection.
How we use the information we collect
Google Analytics employs cookies to define user sessions, which allows for the collection of data about how visitors are using the websites. Google Analytics uses only first-party cookies for data analysis. This means that the cookies are linked to a specific website domain, and Google Analytics will only use that cookie data for statistical analysis related to your browsing behavior on that specific website. According to Google, the data collected cannot be altered or retrieved by services from other domains.
If you choose, you can opt out by turning off cookies in the preferences settings in your web browser. For more information on Google Analytics, please visit Google Analytics.
As you browse www.eighthblackbird.org, advertising cookies may be placed on your computer so that we can understand what you are interested in. Our display advertising partner, AdRoll, then enables us to present you with retargeting advertising on other sites based on your previous interaction with www.eighthblackbird.org. The techniques our partners employ do not collect personal information such as your name, email address, postal address, or telephone number. You can visit this page to opt out of AdRoll’s and their partners’ targeted advertising.
Embedded content from other websites
Articles on this site may include embedded content (e.g. videos, images, articles, etc.). Embedded content from other websites behaves in the exact same way as if the visitor has visited the other website.
MailChimp handles our mailing lists for targeted and general promotional emails. By subscribing to to our MailChimp list, you agree to receive periodic marketing emails, announcements and newsletters. You can opt-out or update your subscription at any time by clicking the Opt-Out link included in all of our messages or by visiting our subscription page.
We currently use PayPal, Stripe, and Square to handle financial transactions made through our site. When processing payments, some of your data will be passed to PayPal, Stripe, and/or Square including information required to process or support the payment, such as the purchase total and billing information.
Data Used: To deliver this functionality and record activities around site management, the following information is captured: user email address, user role, user login, user display name, WordPress.com and local user IDs, the activity to be recorded, the WordPress.com-connected site ID of the site on which the activity takes place, the site’s Jetpack version, and the timestamp of the activity. Some activities may also include the actor’s IP address (login attempts, for example) and user agent.
Activity Tracked: Login attempts/actions, post and page update and publish actions, comment/pingback submission and management actions, plugin and theme management actions, widget updates, user management actions, and the modification of other various site settings and options. Retention duration of activity data depends on the site’s plan and activity type. See the complete list of currently-recorded activities (along with retention information).
Data Synced (?): Successful and failed login attempts, which will include the actor’s IP address and user agent.
Data Used: In order to check login activity and potentially block fraudulent attempts, the following information is used: attempting user’s IP address, attempting user’s email address/username (i.e. according to the value they were attempting to use during the login process), and all IP-related HTTP headers attached to the attempting user.
Activity Tracked: Failed login attempts (these include IP address and user agent). We also set a cookie (
jpp_math_pass) for 1 day to remember if/when a user has successfully completed a math captcha to prove that they’re a real human. Learn more about this cookie.
Data Synced (?): Failed login attempts, which contain the user’s IP address, attempted username or email address, and user agent information.
WordPress.com Secure Sign On
Data Used: User ID (local site and WordPress.com), role (e.g. administrator), email address, username and display name. Additionally, for activity tracking (see below): IP address, WordPress.com user ID, WordPress.com username, WordPress.com-connected site ID and URL, Jetpack version, user agent, visiting URL, referring URL, timestamp of event, browser language, country code.
Activity Tracked: The following usage events are recorded: starting the login process, completing the login process, failing the login process, successfully being redirected after login, and failing to be redirected after login. Several functionality cookies are also set, and these are detailed explicitly in our Cookie documentation.
Data Synced (?): The user ID and role of any user who successfully signed in via this feature.
Data Used: IP address, WordPress.com user ID (if logged in), WordPress.com username (if logged in), user agent, visiting URL, referring URL, timestamp of event, browser language, country code. Important: The site owner does not have access to any of this information via this feature. For example, a site owner can see that a specific post has 285 views, but he/she cannot see which specific users/accounts viewed that post. Stats logs — containing visitor IP addresses and WordPress.com usernames (if available) — are retained by Automattic for 28 days and are used for the sole purpose of powering this feature.
Data Used: Gravatar image URL of the logged-in user in order to display it in the toolbar and the WordPress.com user ID of the logged-in user. Additionally, for activity tracking (detailed below): IP address, WordPress.com user ID, WordPress.com username, WordPress.com-connected site ID and URL, Jetpack version, user agent, visiting URL, referring URL, timestamp of event, browser language, country code.
Activity Tracked: Click actions within the toolbar.