The Business Manager has overall responsibility for the day-to-day business administration of Eighth Blackbird Performing Arts Association, including bookkeeping, payroll, budgeting, and financial management. The Business Manager will attend all regular finance, board, and staff meetings. Duties include:
- Manage the finances of the organization, including but not limited to accounts payable/receivable; bank & credit card reconciliation; relevant balance sheet account reconciliation.
- Manage online expense reporting system.
- Schedule 8BB Finance Committee meetings, draft agenda, and compile all necessary reports and documents.
- Lead annual budgeting process in coordination with 8BB Finance Committee and COO.
- Monitor independent contractor agreements and make payments accordingly.
- Monitor cash flow and cash reserve use/policy.
- Act as primary contact for bank, credit card, and money market accounts.
- Manage company credit card program and oversee expenditure policy and approvals within online portal Abacus.
- Run biweekly and bimonthly payrolls with appropriate deductions; ensure timely payroll tax payments.
- Provide accurate W2s, 1099s, and 1042-Ss for all paid staff, guest artists and contractors to both the individuals and agencies in a timely manner.
Reporting & Filing
- Responsible for timely filing of:
- Federal 941 quarterly
- State 941 quarterly
- IL UI-3/40 quarterly
- Illinois sales tax quarterly
- Annual W2s to employees and IRS
- Annual 1099s to contractors and 1096 to IRS
- Annual 1042-S’s to foreign contractors and 1096 to IRS
- Annual report to IL Secretary of State
- Annual 990 and ILAG990 through auditor
- Communicate with relevant project leaders including Blackbird Creative Lab staff and ensure regular updates of project budgets and projections
- Reconcile contributed income within Salesforce and Quickbooks Online on a regular basis.
- Create templates for budgets and final reports for 8BB Grants Manager as requested.
- Lead annual audit through independent auditor and steward its timely completion.
- Compile necessary documentation requested including grant agreements, bank statements, outstanding payables/receivables, insurance policies, and board minutes.
- Draft Contractor, Guest Artist, Staff, and Commissioning contracts as necessary; manage approval and signatory process.
- Review and execute on the COO’s behalf Presenter, Booking Agent, Residency, etc. contracts as needed.
- Proof and approve all 8BB contracts before execution.
- Assist the COO with administration and filing of annual staff performance reports and job descriptions.
- Assist COO in annual review and revision of Employee Handbook.
- Draft and file employee agreements with COO.
- Manage all employee benefits, currently health insurance and flexible spending accounts, including open enrollment, renewal, new employee enrollment, and termination.
- Assist COO in onboarding new staff and interns.
- Track staff vacation time.
- Manage liability insurance policy and renewal with 8BB finance committee.
- Manage digital archiving of official records, contracts and letters of agreement.
- Liaise with ASCAP and BMI for quarterly reporting as needed.
Skills & Qualifications:
Eighth Blackbird is seeking a seasoned professional who wants a permanent part-time position. The ideal candidate is organized, self-motivated, tech-savvy, flexible, a team-player with a passion for nonprofits and the arts.
- At least 3 years accounting/bookkeeping experience; nonprofit accounting preferred.
- Experience working directly with independent auditors.
- Experience administering payroll, employee benefits, and enrollment.
- Ability to self-direct and problem solve.
- Experience with current systems a plus: Quickbooks Online, Abacus, Salesforce
The Business Manager will work 24 hours per week, days and hours to be determined mutually. Salary: $25 per hour, paid out in bi-weekly installments. Some flexibility in days and hours may be possible.
Reports to Chief Operating Officer.
Start date: December 17, 2018.
Please send cover letter and resume to: email@example.com. If invited for an interview, three references will be required.